Sunday, November 18, 2007

New Decade, New Perspective

For as long as I can remember, 30 has been the magic number, the number I've feared and anticipated since I was a child. It has always been the number of adulthood, the magic number at which I would become old. I remember being a kid and thinking that anyone in their 30's was close to death and must be so scared to be almost done living. I was a dumb kid. While I've grown and come to realize just how far from death 30 is, on some level, that thinking stuck with me. I began to see 30 as the death of my youth, the beginning of a period in my life where it would be unacceptable to be child-like at all. I relish acting like a child! My inner twelve year old boy needs air time at least once a day! The thought of having to be grown up all the time was depressing. All last year, I was displeased about my impending change of decade. I, at various times, wanted to skip the day entirely and pass quietly into a new decade without ceremony or notice. Thinking that, if I paid it no attention, the adultness of the number wouldn't apply to me. The closer the day came, the more upset I got. And then my friends stepped in. Most of my friends are older than me. All of them are successful, independent, amazing women. They all told me how ridiculous I was being, that 30 was way better than 20, and a whole host of other things that were wise and sensical. So I entered the day pensively. I examined my every feeling and twinge, every creak of my spine and crack of my joints, and realized they're the same damn twinges, creaks, and cracks I've had since I was 16. I walked through the day owning my adultness, and enjoying the fact that I can still act like a complete retard, and exercise that inner twelve year old boy, without losing and adult-cred. The surprising thing about turning 30 has been the validation I feel. I feel like I've earned my place in the adult world, and it's not such a bad thing. During my 20's, I felt like an imposter, like a little kid playing at being an adult in an adult world. And although it wasn't a conscious thing, I believe that underlying feeling of 'faking it' kept me from doing things I need and want to do, like pursuing an advanced degree and taking on certain posts at work. But now that I'm 30, I'm a real adult. I've earned the right to be where I am. I belong in the adult world. And I like it. Thank you bitches.

2 comments:

Amy Lane said...

Yup. 30 is 29 with more power. Apparently 40 is 30 with more neurosis... go figure...

Amy Lane said...

(Happy Birthday!!! You didn't tell me!!! Our course, we never see each other at work anymore...ah, the womb like enclosure of our vacant rooms...they're hard to leave, aren't they?)