Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Victor's first Kippah

A little history:
My Victor is a very curious boy. It's one of the many, many things that I adore about him. He asks many, many questions throughout the course of an average day, and they range in topic from the mundane to the bizarre. One day, while in the car on the way to the babysitter's house, Victor asked about religion. Specifically, he asked why we didn't have one. I explained, as best I could without confusing or scaring him, that I didn't have a religion because I couldn't pick one, and that honestly, there have been more times than not in my life where I have questioned and doubted the existance of a god/gods/goddess/whatever. I tried to explain to him that more often than not, I didn't think there was a god, that what I saw of the world, in the world, lead me to believe that we are on our own. I also told him that just because that's how I feel, doesn't mean he has to agree with me, that because he was a smart boy, he could look at the world and decide for himself if he believed in a god/gods/goddess/whatever, and that when/if he was ready, I would help him find a religion that best suited his needs/wants/beliefs. And then he asked me what religions there were to choose from. So I rattled off a list, giving him examples of people he knows who belong to the various religions I had named. When I got to Judaism, he stopped me. He wanted to know more. So I explained. I gave him the short version of all the reading and learning I've done since I was 13 and developed an inexplicable love for a religion not my own. I told him about Israel, about some of the holidays, about the Saturday Sabbath, and synagogues. When I paused he said "hmmmmm, that sounds pretty cool. Can you take me to a cinnagot?" And I got excited. Despite my lack of faith, and perpetual uncertainty as to the existance of a diety, I love religion. I love the idea of it. I love the ritual, the pomp, the history, and tradition of it. I left Catholocism at 12 because of the intolerant nature of it's flock and the absolute refusal of the clergy to acknowledge, let alone attempt to answer my questions. I got excited when Victor asked about religion, and specifically Judaism, because when I was little and asking the questions he asked, there wasn't a place for me to find the answers I can find for him. I made an attempt to convert to Judaism when I was 13 and failed. I couldn't do it on my own, and was not fortunate enough to have anyone in my life at the time who was able to or interested in helping me do it. And then in my late teens, I found out that my mother's family were Sephardic Jews who fled Spain to avoid persecution under Franco. Out of fear, they outwardly lived as Catholics, but never converted. So the pull I have always felt toward Judaism makes sense. So, yay Jewness!
Victor's Kippah:
So I mentioned to some friends that I wanted to take Vic to a "cinnagot" so he could speak with a rabbi, ask some questions, and just experience Judaism for himself. My friend, Sarah, suggested I take him to
Congregation Beth Shalom in Carmichael. I looked over their website and sent them an email explaining that I had a curious 4 year old who wanted to visit and ask questions. I immediately got a response from Rabbi David, inviting me to bring Victor down. For a variety of reasons it took us a few weeks to get over there. But on Monday, we finally made it. The synagogue itself is a small building with a fenced in yard and play area off to the side. We went in through the fence and were met at the door by Rabbi David. He shook Victor's hand, Oscar's hand, and mine, and welcomed us warmly. We walked through the office area and into his office. We sat around a table and chatted for a bit. He asked Victor some questions and invited him to ask his and explore the office. As Victor spun in his chair and investigated all of the things on the shelves and walls in the office, Rabbi David turned to me and asked me about our family history. I explained that I was raised Catholic, left the church, attempted conversion, and then found out about my family's history in my late teens. As I was talking, he stopped me, reached across the table to touch my hand and said "you know you're Jewish, right? You know this." And I was so struck by his sincerity, by his unwaivering and immediate acceptance of me, that I cried like a damn baby. It was embarrassing, and frustrating that I cried, but I was overwhelmed. I tried to explain why I was crying. I tried to thank him for allowing my son the opportunity to question, to investigate, to learn that I was never given. I tried to tell him that as a child, I was made to feel that because I could not blindly accept, because I could not follow, because I lacked faith, something in me was broken and I was bad. But I didn't have to. Rabbi David understood, and said as much. At that point, the boys were losing their minds. Victor was impatiently waiting to see the sanctuary, and Oscar just wanted out. So Rabbi David asked that I promise to come back to speak with him without the boys so that we could speak freely and at length without being distracted. I agreed and we headed for the sanctuary. Before entering, Rabbi David handed Victor a basket and asked him to pick a Kippah. He explained to him that Jewish men wear the Kippah as a recognition that God is above them. Surprisingly, Victor thought this was pretty cool, picked a Kippah and slapped it on his head like a pro. Inside the sanctuary, Rabbi David showed Victor everything there was to see, told him what everything was called, sat on the bemah (the altar area where the Torah is read) and answered his questions, and even pulled out one of the scrolls for him to see, showing him the beautiful writing and reading a passage for him. He even said a prayer blessing Victor, since it was the first time he'd ever been in a synagogue. Victor was fascinated by the Hebrew he heard and saw. In fact, he was fascinated by everything he heard and saw while we were there. We ended our visit with a story about honesty (which Rabbi David told to Victor as an example of what he might hear during a Shabbat service, and which was very topically appropriate since we've been having "difficulties" with the bendiness of the truth lately) and a tour of the rest of the facility, which includes a meeting room and cafeteria/gathering room where they have dinner after services. On the way out, Rabbi David told Victor he could keep his Kippah as long as he promised to take care of it, which he enthusiatically did. It was an incredible visit, and one I hope to repeat in the near future. Victor has not stopped talking about his experience, and for the rest of the day on Monday, would not remove his Kippah, as you can see here:


And for Auntie Sugarbush:
Surprise! It's Shabbat!

7 comments:

KlevaBich said...

Oh, Lore. This sent chills up and down my spine. It sounds like we have the exact same views on religion, and it also sounds like Rabbi David will become a great friend and source of comfort.

And how handsome is Victor? He's always been cute, but he's downright handsome. Give him a smooch for me, will ya?

McVanE said...

Lore - my eyes were welling up. It sounds like both you and Victor had a wonderful experience, one that was eye-opening for him and cathartic for you. I've always been curious about different religions too, wasn't raised in one and understand doubt/disbelief contrasting with a yearning for something greater than yourself to lean on and believe in. As you said "Yay for Jewness!"

Anonymous said...

I. AM. SO. HAPPY!!!!!! Yay for you! And your boys never cease to be stupidly gorgeous. I am SO taking the credit for this :P In all sincerity though, it does warm my heart to think that you've finally found something to satisfy the yearning you've felt since childhood. The Universe is conspiring in your favor, my dear. Work those cheekbones!! :P

Grace said...

You are such an amazing mother and you have one heck of an amazing kid there!
I can only hope that if I ever have children I will be half the mother you are.
You rock, sister!

Anonymous said...

Lore, what an awesome experience it must have been for you and for Vic. What a good mommy you are for helping your son to really explore and understand the world in that way. I am glad that you were finally unburdened of the weight that you had carried all this time.

Please don't be too hard on us Catholics though. I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with the Church. I have discovered from moving around the country that the attitudes of the Church and its willingness to answer the hard questions varies from place to place.

gretchen said...

Oh my goodness, I am trying to type through tears. The rabbi sounds fabulous. And, like the Nancilator, your view on religion matches mine as well. I always used to say if I ever moved to the south I would join a church for the community of it. (I would pick the one with the most singing that didn't also involve speaking in tongues.)

also, for more great info on judaism for kids (well older than yours) there is a book called All of A kind Family. (There is 5 in the series.) Each chapter highlights different jewish holiday and also a story about the kids that ties to the holiday withough the holiday necessarily being the star. If you know what I mean. It won the Newberry Medal in like 1964. Author is Sydney Taylor and you can get it on amazon.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Lore, this is so sweet! I was raised Jewish, and even though I had issues with the temple I grew up in, as an adult I feel more of a tie to the history and, like you said, the ritual and tradition.

We were at my parents' house recently, and my mom had gotten a bunch of old VCR tapes converted to DVD, including my Bat Mitzvah. Seeing myself, at 13 years old, reading my Torah portion, singing my haftorah, and giving my speech, and then being welcomed as a full-fledged adult Jew...well...it brought tears to my eyes. Since then I have been thinking about what it all means. Just because I had a falling out with one rabbi teaching one class doesn't necessarily mean that I have an issue with the entire institution.

The other thing that happened recently was when my dad was in the hospital after his brain surgery, his rabbi came to the hospital to visit him. He stayed for quite awhile, and when he hugged me and told me, very sincerely, if there was anything he could do for me, I bawled too. It's given me a lot to think about.

I am so proud of Vic for his curiosity, and even more proud of you for encouraging it. This is so beautiful. Do you still think you would like to become a practicing Jew? My parents' friend converted and was Bat Mitzvahed at 47 years old.