Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dear Victor,

Today was your first day of school. You were so excited to get there, you woke up early and hardly touched your breakfast. I watched you running around the house, asking a hundred times if you were late for school yet, and couldn't help but think that it wasn't all that long ago that you were just learning how to crawl around this space. Now it's barely big enough to hold you. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. It seems like just yesterday that we celebrated you entering the world, and next week we'll be celebrating your fifth birthday. Five years. Five years of sheer joy and occasional frustration. Five years of laughter, and love, and adventures I'd never have had without you. Thank you little man. You have made me a much better person. Being your mama has taught me more than any class, any book, or any school possibly could about what it means to be a decent human being and what the right way to walk in this world really is. You are the best teacher ever.
This morning, you looked like such a big boy, marching yourself onto campus.


And lining up, waiting for your teacher, just like you'd been shown and without having to be reminded.


And getting down to the serious business of playing and making friends.


You are such an amazing person, my little friend. The world has great things in store for you, and you for it. I can't wait to see what they are. Just remember that no matter how big you get, no matter how smart you are or how much you know, you will always be mama's little man. And you may look like this:


now. But in my heart, you will always and forever be my baby.



Love,
Mama

6 comments:

Tee said...

*sniff* Such a big day for you both. He's a great kid with such a great momma I know he's gonna kick ass and take names today ya know, in a good way ;)
Hugs all around!

Anonymous said...

He's. SO. CUUUUTTEE!!!!!! That's some Grade A baby-makin' right, there Carrillo. Way to go ;)

SRyanReed said...

dear vic - aunt shmorgy here. i hope your mom keeps these journals for you to read over when you are grown. you have no idea how much she loves you - and how wonderful so many of us think you are. you are terrific for all the reasons your mom said and i'm sure a few hundred she's forgotten. but you're also especially lucky because you have one of the best moms on planet earth. i can't wait to meet you someday even though i've often got photos of you and the O man as my desktop background so i kinda feel like i know you anyway. besides, you're such a wise young "old soul."

and, guess what? my hope-to-be-someday-son-in-law may be going to work for d.c. comics. if he does, i'll ask him to get you something special of the green lantern.

love
aunt shmorgs

KlevaBich said...

AAWWWWWW! Damn, between you and Grace with her baby photos, you're going to have me sobbing and snotting into a pile of kleenex.

This is so sweet, and will be such a wonderful thing for Mr. Mature to treasure when he's older. He's just one in a million, isn't he?

*Bitch Cakes* said...

This is why I love and admire you, Lore. You are such an amazing mom and beautiful person inside and out. Those boys (and Mr Ninja) are so lucky to have you!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...
I never thought I was going to read such beautiful words...
Vic is a very lucky boy, yhis is what I think...
hugs

Letizia