Friday, September 11, 2009

Non-linear

I can usually find the words a friend in pain needs to hear. I can tell them to let their grieving happen. That it takes time. That there is no set schedule for grief or healing. That the process is not linear. Their pain and anger will ebb and flow, sometimes disappear and reappear seemingly at random. That it will eventually change, and in that change there will be better times. And when I say these things to my friends, I mean them. I know them to be true. They are not quippy phrases or Hallmark sentiments. They are lessons I've learned through my own pain and processing.
But when it IS my pain, when it IS my grief, I cannot get past the non-linear nature of it. I am frustrated by my sadness. Overwhelmed by my anger. I am angry at my inability to simply be o.k. I am annoyed by the hollow feeling and inescapable emptiness I sometimes feel, rather annoyed by inablitiy to just climb out of the hole this loss has created in my heart. Iam irritated by my regression; full of rage that I am back in a place, clouded and dark, where everything hurts or is numb. Because I should be past this. I should be over it. I should have healed by now. Instead, I am a raw nerve, frayed and tangled, just waiting for one more reason to shoot sparks of pain into the universe.
And I feel like a hypocrit.

5 comments:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

It is true, and it is great advice, but it's still difficult to be in the the middle of. Be patient with yourself, Lore. Through the pain, anger and frustration I hope you remember how loved you are.

The Lady in Red said...

I know how loved I am, honey. I do. And it's what keeps me going and pulls be back into the world when all I want is to stay wrapped up in the goings on of my head. Thank you for the reminder, and for being my friend. xoxoxo

DaRedHed said...

Lore, in your own words, the pain ebbs and flows, appearing and disappearing, seemingly at random. This is true. You are not a hypocrite. I don't know if there is ever a point where it will not hurt at all anymore. I am sorry that you are at a low point. I really do understand. And you are loved.

sandy shoes said...

Maybe this sounds stupid - and I don't know you or what you're grieving - but here goes:

Write yourself a letter, as if you are writing it to a very dear friend whom you love with your whole heart. Tell yourself all these wise and true things you know about grief. Tell yourself to be good to yourself, and patient, and kind to yourself. Say all the things you would tell a friend who was hurting like you are. Then put it in an envelope, address & stamp it, and give it to someone to mail to you in a few days, or a week or two.

Again, maybe it sounds stupid, but I've heard this can be a powerful thing.

Hope you feel better soon.

The Lady in Red said...

Shoes, it's not stupid at all. Thank you.