Friday, March 16, 2007

Best. Question. Ever.

So, I'm giving a spelling test in my ELD writing class test today.These kids speak some English, but not much. They are amassingvocabulary rapidly though. One of the words on the test today was freedom.They have had and worked with these words all week. I ASSumed that theyknew what they all meant based on the work we had done with themearlier in the week. Back to the test. The test is oral. I sayit,they write it out on their papers. I say the word freedom forthem. I repeat it and enunciate clearly, even breaking the word down intosyllables. One of my brightest and most advanced students raiseshis hand and says "Maestra, why we free the dumb? Aren't they likeidiots or something? How you free dumb people? Where they go?" Myresponse? "Huh? What dumb people? OH! Free-dumb! No honey,freeDOM, not free-dumb like idiots. There's no helping those." The classwas rolling, and so was I. Seriously, the best question ever asked in my class!

No comments: