Thursday, March 29, 2007

Snackage and Random Musings

I'm gonna whine a little.
I'm on a restricted diet. It sucks. I have been since the beginning of the 7th month of my pregnancy. My eldest son has pretty severe food allergies, and because of this, the doctors suggested I restrict my diet during pregnancy and while nursing to try to prevent Oscar from developing them, or lessen their severity should they develop. It still sucks. I can't eat anything with milk or eggs in it. No real bread, no milk chocolate, no ice cream, no cheese or yogurt. I can't even eat scrambled eggs for breakfast or have belgian waffles. Pfft. It isn't as bad as it was with Victor. I can at least eat a little bit of a variety because in the last 3 years, I've assembled a nice little list of allergen free foods and alternatives, but they just aren't the same. No matter what the label says, a vegan waffle just does not taste the same as a regular one. It just doesn't, but with enough syrup, they are palatable, and they do satisfy my carb cravings.
While I was in Target the other day, spending more money I don't have on a secret pal I've never met, I stumbled across a treasure trove of snackage that made my heart skip a beat. Chocolate. Honest to Goddess real chocolate that has no milk in it! It's semi-dark and has fruit and nuts in it and I am in HEAVEN! I haven't had real chocolate in 6 months. 6 months people. Do you know how homicidal I was about to become? Extremely. It's bliss. And it has poetry in the wrapper, which I consider to be a bonus. I was good and only bought two bars. The first had cherries and almonds in it. It was gloriously delicious. I stretched that puppy out over 3 days. The one I busted into today has freeze dried raspberries in it. It is also delicious. I like just looking at it too. The brilliant redish fuscia color of the dried raspberries against the dark, dark brown of the chocolate is beautiful. It really is, and not just because it tastes good!
Speaking of my homicidal tendencies, what the fluck is the deal with soccer moms? I'm not talking about every mother of every child who has ever played soccer. I'm talking about the 'soccer moms'. You know, the perfect little bitches with one child who is involved in every conceivable activity, who drives an SUV because she can, even though she only has one kid to cart around, and feels the need to inform everyone she meets that she owns every gadget known to man and so does her kid. I don't get it. It's just stuff lady. Now I'll explain my random rant. There's a new kid in V's karate class (which could lead to a whole other rant all by itself, but I'll save that for another day.) He has been there twice. Both times, he's been a total spaz, which is ok because he's young and new and still learning the ropes. His mother is a nice enough lady. The first day he was in class, she sat right next to me and about in my lap and talked the whole time about how our two boys were just too cute and needed to be friends. She went on and on about how we should do play dates and how they'd love it and yada, yada, yada. I'm cool with that. V needs friends his own age who live around here. But class ends that day and they leave without saying a word. Sweet. Whatever. So we're talking after class yesterday, and she brings up the playdate thing again, only this time, she goes off about all of the things her son has that mine could play with. He's got a car that drives and a motorcylce too, and all the Star Wars movies, and...............for five minutes while I sat there staring at her. My social retardation came into play here, because I totally didn't know what to say to her. Your kids a spoiled brat? Why don't we just go to the park? My kid has toys too? So I pussed out and just said we could talk about a playdate next week, scooped up my midgets and tore ass to the car before she could talk anymore. Maybe it's just where I live, but this happens all the time. This is the reason I don't associate with any other moms around here. They are ALL like this. Or at least, they appear to be. I don't get it. Is it me? Has my retardation reached such a level that I've just completely lost the ability to behave appropriately in social situations? Or are they really the status hungry money-mongers I think they are?
Moving on, I ordered something for my secret pal and it was supposed to be here yesterday. I procrastinate, so of course I ordered it late and then paid an exorbitant shipping charge for 1 day Air. It didn't show up when it was supposed to. I need to mail her package off tonight so that she will get it before April 1st. Yes, I've waited THAT long. If there is not a package on my doorstep before the post office closes tonight, I'm gonna hurt me a UPS guy.
I am so ready for spring break, it isn't even funny anymore.
And on that note, I'm off to do some more dishes before yoga.
Later peeps.

3 comments:

Amy Lane said...

Darling, it's where you live... but where I live, all the moms talk about is how depressed they are that their 16 year olds are either A. pregnant, B. using drugs, or C. pregnant AND using drugs. There are worse neighborhoods!!! (Seriously--grew up 10 miles away--neuvo riche sucking ground...like Orange County without the Hollywood mystique--was worse when you were poor!!!)

The Lady in Red said...

Sigh. I know. But the schools are good.
And I grew up poor, next door to the richie riches too. I think that's why it bothers me so much.

Anonymous said...

Mmm sounds like Dagoba. My fave.